Design students show off Rome experience

Joel Federer

More than 100 pieces of work are on display in Gallery 181 at the Design Center, representing the efforts of approximately 50 students who spent last semester in Rome as a part of the College of Design’s Rome Program.”This is the first time we’ve seriously looked at what’s been done over there,” said Arthur Croyle, Gallery 181 director. In the past, work has been put on display in the hallways of the Design Center. “This is a collection of everybody who was there [during the fall semester] and what their assignments were,” Croyle said. “They have a decidedly Italian mark.”Casey Hayes, senior in graphic design, agreed that the experience played a major role in the creation of students’ work. “A lot of people’s work had to do with the layers of the city and how the [current] city has been built on the ancient cities,” Hayes said.The Rome Program has been available to architecture students for 10 years, but in the last four to five years, it has grown to include students majoring in art, interior design and graphic design. Originally, the program only ran one semester out of the year, but it now runs year round.”Living in the center of a big European city was as much of an inspiration for my work as the history and culture had,” Hayes said. While in Rome, Hayes designed, among other things, soccer team uniforms and a logo for a soccer shoe company. Historically, Rome has been the epicenter of architecture, Croyle said. “The idea [of going to Rome] is to absorb the culture and history it has with the arts,” he added. “If you look at the work done by the architects, you’ll see the influence of Classic Roman architecture. The work a student does in Rome looks discernably different than if [a student just stayed here and worked].”On display in the Gallery are food packaging designs, paintings, photography and drawings of architecture and landscapes.”There are even some Power Point presentations where you can get an overview of projects,” Croyle said.”Any student who’s interested in studying abroad could go [to the exhibit] and see the uniqueness of being in another country,” Hayes said. “It shows you the value of studying abroad.”The exhibit is now on display and will continue to run until Feb. 8.