Ames High moves prom date

Anna Conover

In observance of a Jewish holiday, Ames High School students voted to move the date of their prom to May 5.The original date, April 7, is eve of Passover, and the scheduling upset members of the Jewish community.The high school prom and post-prom committees met with the Jewish community, and they decided that the final decision on whether to move prom should be discussed with students, not just at school board meetings and within committees, Principal Mike McGrory said. “It kind of came about because we were at a conjuncture where all the committees involved decided we needed to present the idea [of moving prom] to the students, and see what their thoughts were,” he said. “It was endorsed by all the committees to change the date.”The issues were presented to the 800 juniors and seniors on Friday, he said.After listening to the pros and cons and student input, a vote of 57 percent to 43 percent passed the change of date to May 5 and location to the ISU Memorial Union.”We saw that as a pretty strong mandate,” McGrory said. “We were very proud of our students for looking at the diversity issues. They really respected diversity.”McGrory said the vote was also an opportunity for learning.”Ultimately, it turned out to be a great learning experience and just a wonderful discourse for our students,” he said. “We used it as a teachable moment.”Denise Rothschild, president of the Ames Jewish Congregation, said she had sensed there was student support before the vote was taken, and she wasn’t surprised by the results.”I’m obviously pleased with the outcome,” she said. “I very pleased with the response of the students and the community. It’s very heartwarming to feel the sensitivity of those in the community.”McGrory said most people were happy with the decision.”We really felt after we had announced it that [the upperclassmen] were really comfortable with the decision, and ultimately, that we had sought out their input,” he said.