Thielen good about student health

The Government of the Student Body voted Wednesday night to rename the Student Health Center after Dr. Thomas Thielen.Thielen, vice president for Student Affairs until 1997, was instrumental in establishing the Student Health Center.Because of Thielen’s support, all ISU students have access to affordable medical care. He devoted more than 20 years of his life to the students of Iowa State as vice president. We owe him a thank you.All too often, building names are based solely on money. If you give a large enough donation, you can have your name on a building. While these donors play an important role at Iowa State and their generosity is appreciated, there are countless people who have worked hands-on to make Iowa State a better university. Thielen is one of those people.Naming rights are sometimes a big draw for donations to the university. However, these people have little, if any, contact with students and have not played a large role in student life. Thielen is a person who was known by many students still on campus and countless others who have graduated.He worked for the students of Iowa State and is now getting much-deserved recognition. It is important to recognize those who have fought for students and for Iowa State. Thielen retired in 1997 and now, four years later, the Student Health Center will take on his name. The time elapsed has allowed people to appreciate his contributions to the university.Dr. Thielen — thank you.editorialboard: Carrie Tett, Greg Jerrett, Katie Goldsmith, Andrea Hauser and Jocelyn Marcus