ISU paintball club plans to build new course

Brian Stillman

Join the fun and shoot your friends is the slogan of the ISU paintball club.The club started receiving funding from the Government of Student Body and Recreation Services last fall and is hoping to build a new paintball course on campus, said Matt Spitz, club treasurer and secretary.”The proposal for the course has passed with the city of Ames, and we hope to soon meet with Recreation Services to discuss possible locations for the course,” said Spitz, sophomore in political science.The club currently practices at ICU paintball, 10561 Field Ave., Colfax. Spitz said the team wants to have its own practice facility on campus to better prepare them for the national competitions they participate in. The club hopes to receive a fall special from GSB next semester to help with the expenses of the course, Spitz said.Steve Medanic, finance director for GSB, said there are several options for funding. “A fall special is one option the group could take,” Medanic said. “They could also present the course to the GSB senate as a special project which the senate would then review.”The paintball club encourages anyone who is interested in the sport to join them and help support the proposed field.”The club is open to any full or part-time student as well as all faculty and staff,” Spitz said. “Anybody who would like to join can contact anyone on our Web site.” The club’s Web site can be found at http://go.to/cyclonepaintball.The club’s meetings are on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 7 p.m. at Da Vinci’s Pizza, 2514 Chamberlain St. The next meeting will be Thursday. The team will be competing in the 3-man tournament Saturday at ICU paintball, according to its Web site.