Second candidate focuses on diversity

Jana Mcbride

Drawing on experiences at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Cora Bagley Marrett addressed issues such as diversity and communication during her visit to Iowa State.Marrett addressed more than 250 people during the diversity and open forums Wednesday in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.The United States should follow the lead of other countries that have adopted globalization strategies, Marrett said.”Some other countries have invested more heavily than the U.S. in fostering relations with other parts of the world because they think those parts of the world really matter,” she said. “We can’t be left behind.”Bringing international students to any campus is important in broadening perspectives, she said, but it is not easy.”For institutions like UMass, like Iowa State, we’ve been accustomed to the traditional students,” she said. “It’s a real challenge to ask, ‘What are the changes and how can we handle this?'”Marrett also touched on the importance of equality for minorities, women, gays and lesbians.”One of the things that’s always rather amazing is that people hold other people with a reputation based solely on sexual orientation,” she said. “That’s a part of the person, it’s not everything.”Regarding health insurance benefits for same-sex partnerships, Marrett said Iowa State may have a better understanding of the situation than the state.”I have no problem with the responsibility resting with the university,” she said.Marrett also said she believes teamwork and collaboration between students and administration would make problem solving easier on both sides.”It’s not just the creation of ideas, it’s the fostering of people who will continue to be at the cutting-edge connection between teaching and scholarship,” she said. “The education experience should be an enriching experience, a broadening experience.”Lee Haugen, provost of teaching assistance, said he was pleased with her verbal support of the program.”I was particularly impressed by her understanding that the universities excel to the degree which they are able to create a sense of community that is supportive of everybody,” he said. “I would say probably her major strength is that she has a very solid science background, but she also seems to have a very solid understanding of how people relate to each other.”Marrett answered a question regarding what would be her first action as president, if chosen, and she said she would try to increase funding for the university and learn the strengths of the university.Marrett was also asked how she would interact in a community that is “not welcoming” to minorities. She said she would have no problem, having already moved “across all kinds of lines” and dealt with people of many backgrounds.”Just because people share a heritage doesn’t mean that they share views on absolutely everything,” Marrett said.She also said the key is not discussing differences, but the things people have in common.”This is a responsibility that would be shared by the entire university,” she said. “I would not be alone in talking and working with the community.”