Wilson will be remodeled

Missy Idso

The Towers Residence Association will be seeing some changes in the arrangement of Wilson Hall to accommodate older students for the fall of 2001.”The goal is to make that general area more appealing to the upperclassman,” said Kate Bruns, Department of Residence communications specialist.New carpet, freshly painted walls, fully furnished rooms and small dorm refrigerators are a few of the considerations in the remodeling process, she said.A phone survey funded by the Department of Residence was conducted two weeks ago among residents of all four of the Towers to find out their opinions about living on campus in double-as-single rooms for the fall.Don Whalen, Department of Residence coordinator of departmental research, said the survey was a success.”Those who wanted a single room seemed to prefer that it be furnished moderately,” he said. “The [plan] with the microfridge didn’t get as much support.”According to the survey results, students are interested in the arrangements of the different proposals, Bruns said.”The preference was for co-ed dorms and keeping the dens,” she said. “The kitchenettes are an issue. They are considering adding something like that.”Matt Heerema, TRA president, also said residents felt the Towers’ environment needed an uplift.”I think something needed to change out here, obviously, because they are getting very old,” he said.The rates of singles as doubles are currently being discussed with student leaders, said Heerema, junior in pre-business. He also said there are different options based on what will be included in each room following the remodeling.”I think it’s a step in the right direction,” Heerema said. “People are going for the cheaper singles as doubles.”With the remodeling of other halls on campus, upperclassmen will be able to turn to Wilson Hall as a substitute.”Buchanan is closing next spring and Wilson is opening next fall,” Bruns said. “There is a year of overlap where both are open at the same time.”Student input is needed before any of the preliminary statistics are used to continue in the process, she said. Bruns also said student leaders will be meeting Thursday with Director of Residence Randy Alexander to discuss the issue further.”We are hoping this will increase the availability of the desired singles as doubles,” she said. “We need to find student input before we make any final decisions.”Heerema said he felt the Department of Residence is doing everything it can to keep the students up to date about issues surrounding their living space.”The department tries to make informed decisions about what it does,” Whalen said. “We like to gather as much information as we can in advance, and we really appreciate student information and opinion to make informed choices.”