Regents to consider Gerdin building plans

Anne Hocker

The tentative schematic design for the future ISU Gerdin Business Building could be approved this month, adding space and improving the business environment.

The plans will be presented at the Board of Regents meeting Dec. 13 and 14.

“We are essentially explaining the design to the board and asking permission to proceed with finalizing the design and issuing the project to bid,” said Scott Sankey, architect in facilities, planning and management.

Sankey said the schematic design is a preliminary representation of the floor plan and exterior of the building, which is slated to be located at the current location of Osborn Cottage.

“We have a ways to go to get the design finished, but we are moving on schedule,” he said.

The Board of Regents is looking at the budget and the requirements and deciding if it is acceptable for Iowa State to continue on course, Sankey said.

“I am not anticipating any road blocks,” he said. “Everything up to now has been positive, and we’re excited about the development of the design to this point. We have gone through extensive reviews within ISU and have received high praise for the design of the building.”

Labh Hira, senior associate dean of accounting, said students, faculty and staff are excited for the new business building.

Sankey said the total project budget is $24,575,000. He said the total includes $300,000 of state appropriations for planning and $13,375,000 from private gifts, including $10 million from the building’s nameplate, Russell and Ann Gerdin. The university plans to request an additional $10.9 million from the state in the upcoming legislative session.

Hira said the L-shaped building design includes about 120 faculty and staff offices, 12 classrooms including a 300-seat auditorium, computer labs, a trading simulation lab, a commons area, student-interaction areas, advising offices, help rooms, interview rooms and graduate student offices.

“The commons area has kind of been the centerpiece of the building,” said Todd Darnold, member of the Gerdin Business Building Committee. “The committee and administration definitely has considered the students’ wants and needs in the design of this building.”

He said the new building would enhance the learning environment.

“It will give us a fantastic environment for the business students, which is certainly what we are missing in Carver right now,” said Darnold, senior in marketing.