Dimensions of the season

Rebecca Cooper

Hundreds of people followed the luminary-lined sidewalks on central campus in the freezing cold to help to bring in the holiday season at the 45th annual ISU Festival of Lights.

“Each year, despite turmoil, the tree has been there as a beacon of our holiday tradition,” Interim President Richard Seagrave said to a crowd of about 300 Wednesday evening. “The tradition has endured because it has not stayed the same. Expanding it from just a tree lighting ceremony to an ISU family tradition has helped the ceremony endure.”

The Oratorio Choir, which first performed at the 1946 Festival of Lights, sang carols from the top steps of Beardshear Hall. Student Alumni Leadership Council members passed out hot cocoa, holiday cookies and candles to the crowd.

Seagrave welcomed the holiday season and people of all ages who gathered together to celebrate the Festival of Lights. The multi-colored lights lit up the tree in front of Beardshear as the Oratorio Choir led the audience in three more Christmas carols.

“This is the second time we’ve come,” said Ames resident Belinda Hegelheimer, who was at the festival with her family. “We’re starting to make this an annual tradition. It’s fun to get out and do something different with the kids and the community.”

The sound of Christmas carols and other familiar tunes played by ISU Carillonneur Tin-shi Tam echoed through central campus following the ceremony. The Campanile was specially decorated for Christmas with elaborate red and green ribbons and a small Christmas tree donning old-fashioned ornaments.

Five members of Student Alumni Leadership Council led public tours up the green-winding staircase to the bells and the organ, where Tam encouraged visitors to sing along.

The 140-year-old Farm House Museum, which was home to the first two Iowa State College presidents, was open to the public for special tours. A piano player, hand-made gifts and several Christmas trees and decorations reflected traditional Iowa holiday celebration, returning the house to the way it would have looked during the years the first two presidents resided there.

“My favorite part of the night were the balloons, playing with the clowns and the reindeer,” said 4-year-old William Werner-Wilson of Ames.

Families escaped the cold for some spiced apple cider, apple juice and donut holes in the new Palmer Building Child Development Laboratory School. Clowns from Kanga-Kids in Ames wore colorful costumes and created balloon animals and hats for children. Mistletoe and Jingles, reindeer owned by Kidman Farms near Polk City, roamed outside the building for the families to visit.

“We brought the reindeer here as part of the celebration for the Year of the Family,” said Jane Ann Stout, associate dean of Family and Consumer Sciences. “We thought it would be a fun and important educational experience for the children and that it would be just as fun of an experience for the adults.”

The University Book Store also held an open house complete with special sales and free gift wrapping. Author Mary Howard, who wrote “Discovering the Body,” signed copies of her book and answered questions.

“The Festival of Lights is a great opportunity for Iowa State students and staff, as well as Ames residents, to come together and celebrate the great things at Iowa State during the holidays,” said Student Alumni Leadership Council member Mike Todd, senior in electrical engineering.