International profs strive to improve instruction

Jana Mcbride

Although some ISU students complain about international professors and teaching assistants whose accents can affect teaching, several international professors said they are taking measures to improve their instruction.

“Communication with students is very important,” said Vladimir Tsukruk, professor of materials science and engineering, who has been in the United States for eight years.

He said his speaking and writing skills have improved through English writing and speaking courses and experience in the classroom.

However, he said closing the cultural gap requires an adjustment on the part of students as well as instructors. “Basically [students] tell me that after the first couple of classes it’s fine,” Tsukruk said. “At least I hope so.”

Roger Smith, associate dean of industrial education and technology, said international professors do not have separate requirements to be hired by the university, but they are subject to the criteria of the individual departments.

He said international professors are hired based on excellence in teaching and research. Speaking skills are also a consideration.

“We all have a strong concern about undergraduate education,” Smith said. “None of us want to put people in front of the classroom that students can’t understand.”

International teaching assistants, on the other hand, must take a speech/teach test, said Felicity Douglas, speech/teach coordinator. The test scores put the students into four different levels of classification from level one — full certification to level four — not certified, which means they can grade papers but cannot have any direct contact with students.

Smith said he understands the frustrations of students who have not been exposed to different accents, but he said students and instructors should be patient.

“It’s not a matter of pointing fingers and blame, but it’s a matter of trying to be tolerant and improve,” he said. “We value our international colleagues and professors. They add great diversity and great experiences.”

Bryon Bootman, senior in agricultural engineering, said accents can be a problem in the engineering department, but he said his past instructors have put in extra effort so he and his classmates can understand them. Many of his instructors wrote words on the board that they had trouble pronouncing, he said. “They did a good job of enunciating,” Bootman said. “They worked at it.”

John Wong, associate professor of marketing, said generational differences also can be a barrier in dealing with students.

“Each generation claims their own words,” said Wong, who has been speaking English since high school. “I keep my ears perked and try to pick up some of the slang.”

Wong said he must switch to the “western mode” of thinking when preparing for his lectures and tries to add local references.

“I make it a special effort to ensure that students understand me and are able to grasp the material,” he said.

Tao Chang, assistant professor of industrial education and technology, said using a combination of visual aids helps students understand him better. “If you are well-prepared for [the lecture], it should be no problem,” Chang said.