Daily cartoonist draws an award

Michelle Kann

He has been described as mean, disrespectful and spiteful by his critics and some of his favorite illustration topics have ranged from former ISU President Martin Jischke to the Ku Klux Klan.

After three years of sketching Poison Ink for the Iowa State Daily, Carmen Cerra, senior in pre-journalism and mass communication, is receiving some positive feedback. The cartoonist was awarded the College Media Advisers’ first place award for editorial cartoons at the CMA conference in Washington D.C. on November 11.

“It kicks ass to receive a nationally-recognized award,” Cerra said. “It means I’m the best at what I’m doing among my peers.”

Cerra started drawing for the campus newspaper during June, 1997 after earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biological and Premedical Illustration, a unique program offered at Iowa State. In the beginning, Cerra said he was involved with the Daily’s Opinion section by writing a column, drawing cartoons and being a member of the Editorial Board.

While ISU President Jishcke was often a source of inspiration for Cerra’s cartoons, he said he wasn’t disappointed when Jischke left for Purdue University.

“It was one less thing I had to focus on,” Cerra said. “One less thing I had to keep an eye on.”

The 27-year-old cartoonist said he draws editorial cartoons about all topics, but focuses mainly on politics, student groups “and whoever makes themselves a topic.”

Over the years Cerra’s cartoons have prompted letters to the editor from students angry and upset with Poison Ink. Cerra said he received one letter from a People’s Republic of China student saying he draws “ugly cartoons.”

But Cerra doesn’t mind the criticism.

“It confirms to me that I’m doing my job,” he said.

Keeping his cartoons fresh and original is a daily challenge, Cerra said.

“Every day I have to meet a deadline and think of something completely new,” he said. “I have to have a knowledge of current events and combine my art skills for something completely new.”

Poison Ink has never missed Daily deadline, even when Cerra was ill.

“I would have to get shot, be in a car accident or on a plane as it goes down in flames, before I would miss an edition,” he said.

Cerra, who is planning to graduate in May, 2001, said his future goals include working at a bigger newspaper, living comfortably and drawing cartoons.

“I have to bamboozle a newspaper into letting me do this,” Cerra said.

Click here to see Carmen’s favorite cartoons.

Click here to see Carmen’s letters to the editor about his cartoons.