Author to address parables

Amy Pint

Members of the Ames and ISU communities will have a chance to learn how Bible stories relate in their lives during the Fall Renewal Weekend this Friday and Saturday.

“Gospel Parables: Then and Now” is the theme as author David May visits Ames during the weekend, which is sponsored by the First Baptist Church, 200 Lynn Ave.

May, associate professor of the New Testament, said he’s happy to come back to Iowa. “I spent about nine months as the interim pastor at Ashworth Road Baptist Church in Des Moines,” he said. “I got to know the pastor a few years back while leading in some Bible study seminars.”

David Russell, pastor at First Baptist Church, said he has enjoyed May’s presentations in the past. “I have heard him speak at various events and have been impressed by both his scholarship and his presentations,” he said. “He is a very down to earth, approachable and delightful person.”

May said he likes to speak about parables for two reasons.

“The parables of Jesus seem to contain the essence of Jesus’ message to the people of his day about the reign of God,” he said. “As a considerate listener of Jesus’ parables, hopefully one can hear the authentic voice of Jesus over the noise of cultural and denominational particularism.”

May also said parables need to be placed in today’s world.

“I believe it is important to place the parables of Jesus in their proper social and cultural settings,” he said. “By learning how the original first-century audience of Jesus heard his parables, one can better understand the message of the reign of God.”

Brent Dawson, graduate student in chemistry, said he thinks all Christian students will be interested in this event. “Students who grew up Christian will be able to further their understanding of the teachings of Jesus,” he said.

The Fall Renewal Weekend will be held at the First Baptist Church.