PRSSA heads to national conference

Gabe Davis

An ISU club will share its knowledge of fund raising at a national conference this weekend.

Members of the Public Relations Student Society of America at Iowa State will be presenting during the organization’s national conference, which begins today in Chicago.

Jacque Sondgeroth, junior in journalism and mass communication, is the president of the PRSSA and one of the two students who will be giving the group’s presentation about fund raising at the conference.

The ISU PRSSA chapter was chosen to speak because of the unique and effective ways it fund raises every year, Sondgeroth said.

She said the group raises funds by soliciting groups such as alumni, local public relations firms and its parent chapter in Des Moines.

Sondgeroth said the money raised in fund raising goes toward the PRSSA’s trips and also toward other events that it will host later on in the school year.

She said the club is sending five of its members to the conference this year.

“The PRSSA is a pre-professional group primarily for students interested in pursuing a career in public relations,” she said.

There are more than 200 universities across America that have PRSSA chapters, and Sondgeroth said it is quite an honor to be chosen to give a presentation at the national conference.

“I’m excited this year, not only for the opportunities the conference always offers, but also for the chance to share what we’ve learned with the other chapters from around the nation,” she said.

The yearly national conference includes presentations by PRSSA chapters along with presentations by leading public relations companies, said John Eighmey, professor and chairman of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

“The conference is a great time to see presentations and to interact with professionals,” he said. “It’s a good experience and good visibility for the Greenlee School and for ISU.”