ISU9 hypes fall season with M-Shop showcase

Jon Dahlager

Television personalities are real people too.

This belief led the new management team at ISU9 to organize ISU9 Day at the M-Shop, which is scheduled to take place today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“We just want to get some ISU9 people out on campus where a lot of students are going to be and give students a chance to meet some of their favorite ISU9 people,” said Jen Spencer, ISU9 General Manager.

ISU9 cast members, new and old, will be on-hand to speak with students, listen to suggestions, and even perform live versions of their shows.

“I’d just like to see a lot of students come out to the M-Shop on Thursday just to see what ISU9’s all about, just to get a chance to meet the students that put so much work into the television station and into making awesome programming at ISU9,” said Alison Storm, ISU9 Public Relations.

The M-Shop seemed to be the perfect venue for the television station’s first event of this kind.

“It’s convenient for students, and it’s a good set-up for us to be able to perform on stage,” said Storm, also a producer and cast member for “FAC.”

The ISU9 staff also wants to use the event to inform ISU students about what shows the student-run television station will be airing this fall.

“We want to make sure that Iowa State students are aware of all the programming we have on right now,” Spencer said. “We think it would be a good way for them to get introduced to all the fun stuff that is playing on ISU9.”

Three shows returning from last season, “1800 Seconds,” “FAC” and “Triple Threat,” will be performed live at the M-Shop from noon to 1 p.m. Representatives from each program will be given 20-30 minutes to entertain the crowd.

However, the performances will not be broadcast on ISU9 because the M-Shop lacks the facilities that are available at the Communications Building.

“Basically, just expect to see a live presentation of what each show is like, see what new talent we have this year and a little preview of what is still to come,” said John Woods, “1800 Seconds” co-producer, writer and actor.

“1800 Seconds” will be bringing its sketch comedy to the M-Shop on Thursday.

“We were thinking of putting together some live skits, kind of similar to what we do at a live taping of our show,” Woods said.

The “FAC” performance will feature a game show and other regular segments, and “Triple Threat” will have three hosts giving sports analysis.

Before and after the live presentations, students will have the chance to give feedback on ISU9.

“We’d love to hear show ideas and feedback,” Spencer said.

Fall lineup previews and programs will be shown on multiple televisions scattered throughout the M-Shop. “We’ll also be handing out some special little ISU9 candy that we’ve decorated up,” Spencer said.

The ISU9 staff hopes the free candy and live entertainment will entice students to stop by and sample what the station has to offer.

“It’s over the lunch hour, so it’s something to do over lunch besides look at a plate of food, and you can also be entertained at the same time,” Woods said.