ISU to hold interactive Debatewatch

Ryan Brown

As the national presidential debates begin tonight, ISU students have an opportunity to get involved through the interactive program Debatewatch. For the second time, the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics organized local Debatewatch groups that will meet at 7:30 p.m. for the debate. Debatewatch is an interactive program sponsored by the National Commission of Presidential Debates. Students from two of the Catt Center’s leadership groups, members of the Ames League of Women Voters and other people will participate in the program, which will be held at the Sloss House and the Maple-Willow-Larch music room. Dianne Bystrom, Debatewatch facilitator, said this national program was organized to bring 12 to 15 citizens together to watch and discuss the debates. “[Debates] educate voters about the political process,” said Bystrom, director of the Catt Center. “They are the best format for people to learn about the issues of the candidates.” After the debates are over, she said, the groups will discuss what they learned and what they may have overlooked during the debate. She said the results are then sent to the national debate commission for educational research, and they are released to the media the next day. The media focus on which candidate performed best during the debate, Bystrom said, but Debatewatch lets participants discuss the debates before the press influences their views. “I hope to more clearly understand the issues of the candidates that I couldn’t get from commercials,” said Jessica Carlson, freshman in political science. Even with all the publicity surrounding the national debates, there still will be people who choose not to vote, but Carlson said they will be “missing out on something exciting, something that affects us all.” The ISU Democrats and Story County Democrats are hosting a debate watch of their own at 7 p.m.., upstairs at Cy’s Roost and Don’s Deli, 121 Welch Ave. The group invites all democrats to come and watch the debate. “[We are hosting this] to educate our students about Gore’s stands and where the other side stands,” said Debbie Kattenhorn, president of ISU Democrats. This year’s presidential election may be one of the closest in more than 40 years, Bystrom said, and debates are more important in a close election year. She said a common misconception among young people is that their vote will not count. Additional Debatewatch sessions will be held Oct. 11 and Oct. 17, Bystrom said. Students interested in participating in any of the three Debatewatch sessions can reserve a spot by calling the Catt Center at 294-3181. However, she said anyone can start their own Debatewatch group by going to www.debate.org and downloading the facilitator kit.