Long-awaited WB network set to hit Ames next month

Jana Mcbride

Those dying to know the next turn of events on “Dawson’s Creek” or “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” will have to wait a little longer for their wishes to come true.

The launch of the Warner Brothers WB channel is scheduled to reach the Ames area on Nov. 20, said KPWB Des Moines general manager Deb Corson. It will join the four other network affiliates — ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX — and will be found on channel 23.

“You’ll be able to get us crystal clear in Ames,” Corson said.

Weather delayed the construction of the 2,000 foot signal tower in Alleman, pushing back the launch date almost a year, Corson said.

In the past, Ames and Des Moines residents were able to watch WB programming on WGN, a station out of Chicago.

Deenaree Cholvibul, sophomore in elementary education, said she and her friends watched “Dawson’s Creek” last year in the dorms.

“I love ‘Dawson’s Creek,'” she said. “I can’t wait until it comes back.”

Jessica VanOsdel, sophomore in philosophy, said she seldom watches television but has tuned into WB to watch “Dawson’s Creek” and “Charmed.”

“I might watch TV [more] now that it’s coming,” said VanOsdel, citing the station will appeal to many students. “It’s a good station. They have good evening soap operas.”

Ryan Burnley, freshman in mechanical engineering, said he has tuned into “The Jamie Foxx Show,” and “Animaniacs” on the WB.

“It’s another channel to watch. We don’t have any movies channels here, at least Larch [Hall] doesn’t,” Burnley said. “I’ll take what I can get.”

The WB carries several other shows geared to Generation Yers, such as “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Felicity,” “7th Heaven” and most recently “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.”

“We’re also carrying [reruns of] the hottest show in syndication, which is ‘Friends,'” Corson said.

Because WB has several shows relevant to college students, Corson said KPWB will be searching for Iowa State students interested in participating in focus groups and on an advisory council following the launch.