Student Legal services offers free advice

Jana Mcbride

ISU students can find free legal services right on campus.

Student Legal Services, located in Room B11 of the Memorial Union, is a free service available to current ISU students in need of legal advice or representation in court.

Michael Levine and Paul Johnson, the two Student Legal Services legal consultants, have spent 10 years helping students with legal issues.

The service has been in existence since 1985, Levine said. He said he became involved in the program when it was a clinic for third-year students of Drake University Law School working under the supervision of attorneys.

Levine said he has heard positive feedback from students who use the Student Legal Services.

“It gives them an avenue to get legal advice and legal counsel right away in situations they might otherwise not know where to turn,” he said. “It benefits them both economically and substantively, very quickly and very efficiently. They’re very glad to have it.”

Levine said he and Johnson see a wide variety of cases, ranging from landlord-tenant problems and alcohol-related offenses to immigration issues and alleged theft.

“It runs the gamut, really,” he said.

The only legal cases Student Legal Services does not see are those involving personal injury litigation or other fee-generating cases, Levine said.

According to Student Legal Services records, 542 clients were served from Jan. 1, 2000 through June 30, 2000. Of these, 34 percent were seniors, and 21 percent of the cases involved criminal charges.

Levine also said the same standards apply for the clients using the Student Legal Services as those at a professional law firm.

“In general, communication between the client and attorney is privileged and confidential,” he said.

Debbie Carter, secretary for Student Legal Services, said the office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday but is closed over the lunch hour, which can vary.

While students are encouraged to make appointments, Carter said students can walk-in, especially in cases of emergency.

“It’s much better to make an appointment because when you walk in, we’re generally busy,” she said.

Although the service is free through funding by the Government of the Student Body, Interim Dean of Students Pete Englin said if the case goes to court, students must pay for the costs.

While these vary from case to case, Englin said the service is still beneficial.

“[The cost] is insignificant compared to what attorney’s fees usually are,” he said.