Events celebrate African-American heritage

Erica Cross

Some ISU African-American students will be combining work and play with two events this weekend.

The ISU National Pan Hellenic Council is having its annual Greek Fest Step Show Saturday, and the National Society of Black Engineers’ Fall 2000 Regional Leadership Conference is on campus this weekend.

The Greek Fest Step Show will be at 9 p.m. Saturday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Robert Easterling, president of the NPHC, said the event celebrates African-American heritage.

“During Greek Fest, each organization performs its traditional step, which is a combination of rhythmic clapping and stomping,” said Easterling, senior in sociology.

Admission for the fund-raiser is $8 and will include a party afterwards.

“More people attend Greek Fest than any other NPHC activity because you get to see all the organizations at one time,” said Aisha Martin, member of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority. “You get to see us at our best.”

Zeta Phi Beta sorority member Sherkiya Wedgeworth, junior in pre-journalism and mass communication, said the dance is an important part of African heritage.

“It used to be used for tribal battling and ritual ceremonies,” she said.

Brian Tenclinger, adviser to NPHC and assistant dean of students, said besides celebrating their heritage, event participants also will be eligible for some monetary rewards.

“A $350 prize will be awarded to both the fraternity and sorority in first place,” he said. “The second-place winners will receive a $150 prize.”

Many of the fraternities and sororities will be participating, Wedgeworth said, even though planning for the event is time-consuming.

“It’s hard work,” she said. “We have been practicing since early September.”

Another important milestone on campus will be the National Society of Black Engineers’ Fall 2000 Regional Leadership Conference.

Richard Freeman, adviser for NSBE, said hosting a conference involves more than just meetings.

“Your chapter has to be flourishing in all aspects in order to host a conference,” said Freeman, adjunct instructor of electrical and computer engineering.

Tynesia Hill, financial chair of the conference planning committee, said the group has become more prominent in recent years.

“We went from having two members in 1996 to having 46 members now,” she said.

Hill, junior in anthropology, said the conference will include workshops dealing with academics, leadership skills, career development and technology. She said NSBE also will be sponsoring an oratorical speech contest and a career fair with over 50 engineering companies represented.