Fraternity sleeps out for homeless

Erica Cross

Members of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated will be sleeping out Wednesday night to raise awareness for the homeless.

At the fraternity’s Fourth Annual Statewide Sleep Out for the Homeless, members of Phi Beta Sigma will sleep in cardboard boxes between the Memorial Union and the campanile for 24 hours beginning at 6:30 a.m.

“By us becoming aware of homelessness, we are making others aware as well,” said Chris Bozeman, former ISU student and first vice president of the Eta Epsilon Sigma graduate chapter of Phi Beta Sigma.

Fraternity leaders said members want the sleep-out to be realistic.

“We try to have it toward the colder months because the homeless go through the most hardship during that time,” said Cory Miller, president of the Kappa Gamma chapter of Phi Beta Sigma.

Bozeman also said students need to be more aware of the homeless in their community.

“[Students] don’t even know that we have homeless people in Ames that live by the Skunk River and under area viaducts,” Bozeman said. “They don’t know that the Story County Emergency Shelter houses homeless people.”

Although the weather may be chilly, fraternity members said they do not think students will be the same.

“When you do something for charity, you always run the risk of no one donating,” Miller said. “Understanding the homeless is a totally different take on charity.”

Miller said members are hoping for a big response from the student community.

“Last year we had a pretty big turnout,” Miller said. He said fraternity members have increased in number and are hoping for an increase in donations.

Miller said many people brought hot chocolate and food for members to eat last year, along with other donations.

Bozeman said he hopes the fraternity sees similar support this year.

“Hopefully, they will carry that generosity out into the community,” Bozeman said.