IRHA leaders seek vote on Veishea

Amber Billings

Two residence-hall leaders are calling for a student initiative to decide the fate of Veishea 2002.

Inter-Residence Hall Association President Paul Duncan and Towers Residence Association President Jonathon Weaver are trying to collect 2,000 student signatures that would result in an all-university referendum.

If that goal is met, students will vote whether the Government of the Student Body should cease “all material and financial support of Veishea” after this year’s celebration, according to the student initiative given out at Tuesday’s GSB executive council meeting.

“It seems that we’re trying to rebuild something that shouldn’t be continued anymore,” Duncan said. “The point is I think Veishea has passed. It would be great if we could save it, but it’s a dead horse.”

The initiative was presented to Interim President Richard Seagrave, GSB President Ben Golding, GSB Vice President Lisa Dlouhy and other student leaders from campus organizations.

Duncan said although the people who are supporting the initiative are residence-hall leaders, they are doing it outside of their IRHA duties.

“I believe it is in the best interest of the student body as a whole to determine if we want to continue to support Veishea,” he said. “It’s our duty as student leaders to remain in touch with the views and opinions of our constituents. We feel this is the most effective way to do this.”

Veishea Co-Chair Brian Nash disagreed with Duncan and said the celebration still is alive and breathing.

“I don’t really feel that Veishea is dead in any way,” said Nash, junior in mechanical engineering. “If you look at Iowa State, Veishea is still the most widely attended event [on campus].”

Weaver said he is confident they will get the signatures they need to hold a vote.

“If we bring it to a student vote, we’ll settle it once and for all,” he said.

Weaver said the people he has spoken to about the dwindling number of Veishea participants don’t want their money going toward the celebration.

“I have serious issues with the vast amounts of people leaving town or being able to see more police officers than students at Taste of Veishea,” he said. “It’s in my opinion from talking to various people that we’re tired of seeing our money being put toward Veishea.”

Jeremy Hayes, president of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered and Ally Alliance, said Weaver and Duncan’s reasons for the initiative did not make sense.

“Should we say that we should stop funding all student organizations if there is a low attendance rate?” he said. “I don’t think it’s fair if they’re getting low turnouts that we should end it.”

Dlouhy said if Duncan and Weaver meet the signature requirement, then something should be done.

“I feel that it’s a right of any student [to have a student initiative],” she said. “If they can get 2,000 signatures, then it’s a sign that we should be looking into the issue anyway.”

Despite the initiative, Golding said business will continue as usual in planning the upcoming celebration.

“We’re going to continue to work with Seagrave and the residence-hall leaders for a solution to get students more involved for this year’s Veishea,” he said.

Students in residence halls seem apathetic toward the celebration, and participation has been low in past years, said Andy Walling, Richardson Court Association president. He said he would like to see more residence-hall students participate.

Veishea Co-Chair Kathy Craig said she can’t explain why students don’t participate because she has never felt that way.

“Every semester I’ve participated,” said Craig, senior in Spanish. “The application [to be on the planning committee] is out there for students.”

She said the Veishea committee is sensitive to the idea that those involved in the greek system may have more Veishea experience than those in the residence halls, but she and Nash are trying to fix that.

“We can make efforts to attract people, but if they don’t see this as something of interest, they can leave. It takes going out to the students that didn’t go last year and asking them why they didn’t participate.”

Weaver and Duncan are collecting signatures at residence-hall dining centers on campus. For more information, e-mail Weaver at [email protected].