Greenlee prof is master educator

Jill Pearson

Only 100 Master Journalism Educator awards are given nationwide, and an ISU faculty member is one of the recipients.

Jane Peterson, professor of journalism and mass communication, received the award from the Journalism Education Association, an association for teachers and advisers of journalism and publication. Peterson will receive the award during the association’s convention Nov. 19 in Kansas City.

After being notified of her eligibility for the award, a committee reviewed Peterson’s research and outreach in addition to evaluating her teaching.

Peterson, coordinator of the science communications em-phasis in the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, has been at Iowa State for 18 years.

John Eighmey, professor and chairman of the Greenlee School, said Peterson has earned the recognition.

“She is known to all of us and the faculty as an effective teacher and a mentor to the students,” he said. “It is quite a distinction for her to win this award.”

Peterson said she appreciates the public recognition of her work.

“It is tremendous to be honored in this way, in a national level of recognition. It is especially exciting because it combines teaching, scholarship and research, which is what ISU stands for,” she said. “The Journalism Education Association sees how those things compliment each other in my work.”

Though the award is for lifetime achievement, Peterson said she feels as though she is far from finished.

“It’s a very nice reward for all of the work. It is a nice topping for all of the great experiences I’ve had in journalism,” she said. “Its great to do something you love and have people recognize you for it. It’s like icing on the cake.”

Peterson said students make her job enjoyable.

“My favorite part is the students — I don’t say that just to say it. Iowa State is full of students who are motivated and enjoy discussion,” she said. “The students at Iowa State are so receptive to wanting to learn more.”