Coming Out Days kick off with rally

Ryan Brown and Valarie Dennis

ISU students will have the opportunity this week to “Come on Out” for this year’s National Coming Out Days, sponsored locally by the ISU Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance.

The week-long event starts at noon today with a rally and information tent on central campus.

“The rally includes speakers to set the mood, and an information tent with people to speak with and fliers,” said Alliance member Ben Taylor, sophomore in computer engineering.

Organizers for this year’s celebration said they hope all ISU students will take the theme “Come on Out” as an invitation to join in the activities.

“Coming Out Days is a celebration of the coming out process,” said Jeremy Hayes, president of the Alliance. “[NCOD] helps people understand the issues about coming out.”

Hayes, junior in management information systems, said only a few years ago, there were protests following events such as National Coming Out Days.

“There used to be protesters with signs,” said Travis Greene, coordinator for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services (LGBTSS). “The ISU community has become more accepting.”

Hayes said he feels students on campus are more accepting of the week than they have been in past years.

“The general attitude on campus is that if we don’t get in anyone’s face they won’t be worried about what we have to say,” Hayes said. “I would rather have a positive atmosphere on campus instead of neutral.”

Alliance Treasurer Scott Reichmann said people may not necessarily come out this week, but he wants them to know there are resources and people available to help.

“Any time you increase visibility, you decrease the people on the fringe who feel isolated,” said Reichmann, junior in aerospace engineering. “This week allows many to feel like they aren’t alone, and there are others out there for support.”

Greene said this week is important for individuals who are thinking about coming out and also for students who may be unfamiliar with or wary of the LGBT community.

He said exploring new ideas and hearing both sides of the story is what higher education is all about, and he reminds people that hate crimes come from “ignorance and fear.”

Besides just educating people about the LGBT community, Greene said he hopes individuals who are thinking about coming out will join in the event to find the support they need.

“They’re not alone,” he said. “[By coming out] you’re making a personal and political act by saying, `I am who I am, and I accept who I am, and I am not ashamed about it.'”

Hayes said there also will be events for heterosexual allies of the LGBT community.

He said there will be training for campus allies on how to be supportive and an ally panel on why it is important to be an ally.

“There seems to be a stigma about being an ally,” he said. “It often raises more of a question about their own sexuality.”

Hayes said this week is important for many people interested in coming out.

“Events like this show people interested in coming out there are mechanisms of support on campus and people to help along the way,” he said.

Those interested in more information can check out the Alliance’s home page at www.alliance.stuorg.iastate.edu.