ISU volleyball swept by Red Raiders

Emily Arthur

The ISU volleyball team resumed Big 12 action Wednesday night by falling in three games to Texas Tech, 7-15, 7-15 and 10-15.

The loss dropped the Cyclones to 2-17 on the year with a 0-10 conference record, while the Red Raiders victory added to their 17-4 record with a 6-4 mark in the Big 12.

Game one showed the inconsistencies that Iowa State has become accustomed to all season. Texas Tech dominated from the get-go, taking a 13-4 lead and never looking back. The Red Raiders used a .311 hitting percentage to outhit the Cyclones in the game registering 20 kills to Iowa State’s 11.

Game two featured a ISU comeback as the Cyclones found themselves in an early hole, 2-8. Iowa State battled back using a big game by outside hitter Nanette Allen to get within one point before Texas Tech went on a tear to score the last seven points of the game.

Allen registered five kills on just eight attacks for the game and looked dominating at times.

“I thought Nanette Allen came back in and just did a nice job of stepping up and taking some good swings,” Iowa State Head Coach Linda Grensing said. “She really had a nice match for us. I thought she did a good job.”

The third game proved to be the most exciting in the match with Iowa State falling behind early 1-8 before battling back to take a 10-9 lead. Texas Tech used a timeout to compose themselves and came back to take the game and the match win, 10-15.

“I thought in games one and two the difference between them and us is that they were definitely more consistent and played more physical,” Grensing said. “In game three, I thought the difference was that we played physical for more of that game, which meant that it was a little more of a challenge to Texas Tech.”

Despite the loss, Iowa State was able to take away a positive.

“We talked in the locker room, and one of the things we had as a goal against all of our ranked opponents or close-to-being- ranked opponents is getting to 10 points,” Grensing said. “We did that tonight in game three.”

After the game, the focus was on the comeback that took place in the third game.

“We were a lot more aggressive, and we talked a lot more,” freshman middle blocker Julie Mitchell said. “We picked up our energy level. That really helped us come back. I think we really stepped it up in game three.”

Grensing was quick to give credit to freshman Lindsey Chapman, who started her third match at setter as a Cyclone when sophomore Sara Stribe was unable to play due to a hip injury.

Chapman recorded 25 assists with 10 of those 25 coming in game two.

“I thought that Lindsey Chapman did a great job just coming in and setting without a lot of notice,” Grensing said. “We found out about Sara’s hip not really being ready to play tonight, late. Lindsey just stepped in and did a great job.”

Leading the way for the Cyclones was sophomore Sarah Rollman who recorded ten kills and six digs in the loss. Allen added eight kills on the night while pacing the defense with 11 digs.

Looking ahead to the rest of the season, Iowa State has 10 games remaining, all with the opportunity to get that first conference win.

“We’re beginning the second half of the conference season,” Allen said. “I think it’s about time we stepped it up. We’ve gotten familiar with the opponents and gotten comfortable with each other. I just want to win, and I’m tired of losing. That’s all there is to it. This is my last year, so I have to do it now or else.”