Leaders question Veishea pledge

Amber Billings

Student leaders from campus’ largest organizations and Interim ISU President Richard Seagrave discussed Monday night how alcohol will be handled during the Veishea celebration.

At the Government of the Student Body executive council’s meeting, members of the council deliberated for almost three hours about the alcohol policy and also about how to get students more involved in the celebration. Seagrave said actions must be taken to preserve the student-run celebration.

“I think I’ve been convinced that if we issue the ultimatum to have everyone take the [alcohol-free pledge], we place ourselves in the position that Veishea might go away. We’ve got to preserve it,” he said.

There were concerns among the committee about students’ rights being infringed during the weekend. Last year, five student organizations – GSB, Inter-Residence Hall Association, Interfraternity Council, the Veishea executive committee and Panhellenic Council – signed a pledge agreeing that students, including those who were 21, were not allowed to drink on campus during Veishea. If all the governments did not sign the pledge, Veishea would not continue.

Inter-Residence Hall Association President Paul Duncan said the pledge must be modified to allow of-age students to drink.

“There is a stigma associated with Veishea that drinking and Veishea go together,” he said. “I think we should be able to have a say because our rights are being infringed upon.”

John Burgardt, president of the Senior Class Council, said there should be a compromise with ISU students and administration to make both sides happy and comfortable with the celebration.

“Maybe if we had some student input into the policy and come to a compromise, I think it would be acceptable,” he said. “Without a compromise, no one will be happy.”

Seagrave said the students need to find another way to have fun without consuming alcohol.

“The reason we had an alcohol problem was because it became the entertainment. Our view is that it’s too bad that we can’t find a form of entertainment that isn’t alcohol-based,” he said.

Seagrave also said students shouldn’t give up on the organization and should be positive about the upcoming spring celebration.

“This is a very high-stakes game; it’s bigger than all of us,” Seagrave said. “What happens this spring will affect the next year and the year after that.”

The GSB executive committee will continue discussions at a later undetermined date.