Actors and writers needed for ISU9’s “1800 Seconds”

Joel Federer

Do you have a silly side that needs to get out but you don’t think the middle of class is the right place for such tomfoolery? Never fear, at “1800 Seconds” this sort of behavior is nurtured and cultivated. Now is the chance to be part of what some might call the funniest and craziest sketch comedy show on ISU9. OK, it’s the only sketch comedy show. Tryouts are being held tonight at 7 p.m. in 127 Curtiss Hall for any students interested in joining the fun. Mike Dahlstrom, senior in biophysics and journalism and co-producer of “1800 Seconds,” said the show is looking for people who are creative, dedicated and able to come up with funny skit ideas. Individuals are also encouraged to be able to write and act. “We’re also looking for people who look funny,” he said. “Smelling funny is an extra [bonus].” The show’s producers are looking for a cast of at least 10 to 20. Tryouts will consist of improvisation and group performances with the aid of props. “We’ll do some games to see how people interact and see their comedy skills,” John Woods, junior in electronic media studies and co-producer, said. Woods continued by saying it would be sort of like the TV show “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” General information on how the show is run will also be given. “1800 Seconds” was started last fall by a group of students who wanted to provide a little more variety to ISU9’s line up. There have been 10 episodes made since the show’s beginning, with new episodes coming out bi-weekly. The first show this season will be recorded Friday, Sept. 22. A live studio audience is also wanted for the taping. The recording will be at the Communications Building in Studio B. The audience is asked to arrive by 7 p.m. “`1800 Seconds’ is a sketch comedy show based on the scientific definition of funny that revolves around the titration of chuckles,” Dahlstrom said. “And hopefully it’s better than `Sanford and Son.'” Since a variety of people work on the show, the style of comedy will depend on who writes the skits. “We have a pretty diverse group, and it shows through our diverse comedy,” co-producer and senior in international business Jeff Hansen, said. “We try to have skits that deal within and around campus,” Woods added. “Something the students can relate to.” Past skits have included a grocery-cart-taxi-cab service that went around campus giving free rides to students and a guy who was so dumb he had to keep reminding himself to breathe, only to forget as he pushed a crosswalk button, causing the man to fall unconscious. Working on the show, however, isn’t all fun and games. “There’s a tremendous amount of time involved [with the development of the show] and I don’t think people realize that,” Hansen said. “It’s not just `show up and be funny.’ It’s a lot of hard work and fun, but it is time consuming.” The show also needs people to run cameras and other studio equipment. No prior experience is needed. “We encourage anyone who even possibly, kind of, half-way, maybe thinks about [trying out] to come by to the auditions and see what they think,” Dahlstrom added. For more information, send an e-mail to [email protected]