Today’s Briefs

Various

Students protest Gore’s investments A group of students will be protesting presidential candidate Al Gore’s investment in a chemical company today. Several students will be demonstrating from 9 a.m. until about 3:30 p.m. in the free speech zone between Beardshear Hall and the Hub. Jesse Holland, sophomore in liberal arts and sciences, said the group is protesting the thousands of dollars Gore has invested in the Occidental Chemical Co. Holland said the company plans to begin drilling in Colombia today. Several members of the indigenous U’wa people have threatened to commit mass suicide if the company drills on their land. Holland said Gore has not addressed his investment in the company. “Basically we want to get Gore’s attention,” he said. – Amie Van Overmeer Pederson kicks off Career Fair Iowa Lt. Gov. Sally Pederson will kick off the Engineering Career Fair at 12:45 today at Hilton Coliseum. Pederson will discuss the opportunities available to those pursuing a degree in the engineering or technology fields. She will also speak at a luncheon with the company representatives. Over 250 companies from across the nation will be represented at the career fair, which will be held from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Hilton. Some of the companies include 3M, Alliant Energy, Cargill, Caterpillar and General Electric. Employers are looking for both part and full-time employees as well as interns. Participants are urged to bring along their r‚sum‚s. – Kati Jividen