AAAA programs offer star-gazing for young astronomers

Carrie Kreisler

For some ISU students and Ames citizens, all it takes is a gaze into the sky to find a reason to party. The Ames Area Amateur Astronomers will host a public star party Saturday night at the Story County Conservation Center. These parties are held 8 p.m. Saturdays from March through October, said Ed Engle, AAAA president. While most of its membership is adults from the community, the club is always looking to bring in ISU students. “The AAAA is about 80 percent adults,” he said. “Several college students are members, but only for four years, for obvious reasons.” Engle said increased awareness of the group would attract more students to the star parties and group events. “Unfortunately we are not too well advertised,” he said. “We do try to put up sheets in the physics buildings. We get three or four students each time. It’s not as many as we’d like.” They also have some high school students who participate, he said. Russell Lavery, assistant professor of physics and astronomy, said he is not personally involved with the AAAA, which is a nonprofit educational organization. He does, however, “encourage students to go, but they are pretty much a separate group, and most of the people involved aren’t students.” Saturday’s program includes a brief history on the discovery of Uranus and Neptune followed by observations of these planets, which are the outermost of the known gas giants, Engle said. “Once it gets dark we’ll do some observing [at the McFarland Park Observatory] of what we talked about that night if the weather permits,” Engle said. According to the AAAA’s Web site, Uranus and Neptune are “relatively easy to spot and are pretty sights even in small telescopes.” The event will be held come rain or shine, Engle said. “Even if the weather doesn’t look promising, we should still have a good presentation inside,” he said. The star parties are open to anyone, and no fees or registration is required. The presentation begins at 8 p.m. Participants are encouraged to bring binoculars. For more information on AAAA, go to the organization’s Web site.