Balancing Act

Jana Mcbride

ISU quarterback Sage Rosenfels and his wife Maria have to tackle the pressure of school, athletics and married life. Sage, 22, fifth-year senior in marketing, and Maria, 23, fifth-year senior in child and family services, are not the only students who contend with married life and classes. Other ISU students like Matt and Christina Bradshaw have married life, classes and children in their game plan. Sage and Maria will graduate in December. The extra year is not because they’re married, Sage said, but because he was red-shirted as a freshman and Maria transferred from the University of Northern Iowa. The two met in Maquoketa where they attended high school together, but they didn’t start dating until their second year of college. “We were really good friends in high school, so it didn’t take long to get serious in our relationship,” Sage said. The two were engaged within a year and were married June 12, 1999. Both agreed maturity played a large role in their decision to marry while still in college. “We thought we were mature enough to handle all of the things that go into a marriage,” Sage said. “We didn’t see a reason to wait for the future.” Maria and Sage said they find it challenging to find time to spend together because of his football career. Between weightlifting, meetings and practice, Sage said he spends more than 20 hours a week with football, not including games. “We’ve been used to that ever since he started football, so it’s not like it’s something new,” Maria said. “We both make a pretty big effort to spend some time together.” Maria said she tries to attend all of the Cyclone football games with their family and friends. Sage said the football season is definitely the busiest time of the year, but his commitments continue into the off-season with conditioning and weightlifting. “It’s a full-time job all year round,” he said. Aside from school, Maria works 10 to 20 hours a week at the Youth Recovery House, 804 Kellogg Ave. Sage said he helps out by doing “laundry and things around the house that she doesn’t have enough time for because she’s so busy,” he said. The couple said financial considerations should be made before deciding to marry. Both receive money to help with their schooling – Sage for athletics and Maria for academics. “There’s a lot more to figure in when there’s two of you, especially when you’re in college and your budget is kind of tight,” Maria said. Sage said being ready for marriage is something only the couple can decide. “Obviously only those two people know if they’re ready and if they love each other enough to get married,” he said. “Who you’re going to marry is the biggest decision you’ll make in your life,” Maria said, “and it affects every aspect of your life.” It’s all in the family Christina and Matt Bradshaw’s lives are not only affected by their marriage, but also by school and parental responsibilities. Christina, 21, junior in animal ecology, and Matt, 21, junior in computer science, spend their days working, volunteering, studying and toting 5-year-old Corri back and forth from kindergarten. Their typical day begins with homework at 6 a.m., followed by feeding their parrot, Kiwi, and getting Corri up at 7 a.m. so they can bike her to kindergarten by 8:30 a.m., Christina said. After dropping Corri off, the two go their separate ways to work or class, Matt said, and in between classes, the two try to visit Corri’s kindergarten class in the Palmer Building. After picking Corri up from kindergarten at 3:30 p.m., the Bradshaws bike home and get dinner started. The family spends time together before Corri goes to bed at 8 p.m. After she is asleep, “we usually try to study together,” Matt said. Aside from school, Christina volunteers at the Wildlife Care Center on campus Saturday mornings and the two are involved in their church youth group. “God is very relevant in our lives,” Matt said. Both agreed their numerous responsibilities can cause pressure, but they’re used to it. They said having very little spare time is a way to prioritize their lives. “I think it helps you to be more responsible and deal with your time,” Christina said. “Sometimes I don’t get all the studying done I need to, but I don’t think my grades suffer too much.” Matt and Christina said they are grateful both their parents live in Des Moines. “If we ever needed anything, they’d always be there,” Christina said. “That part is always helpful.” However, the Bradshaws seem to be doing just fine on their own. Matt took college credits from Drake University in high school, so he is on schedule with classes and will graduate in May 2002. Christina took a semester off for an internship and attended North Central College in Minneapolis for a year, so she will graduate in May 2002, five years after her high school graduation. The couple celebrated their one-year anniversary on Sept. 4. After considering their options, they said getting married before finishing college seemed like the right thing to do. “We knew that we could financially handle it and there is no sense putting it off when you know you’ve found the right person,” Christina said. Those contemplating marriage should not rush into a decision emotionally or financially, the couple said. “There’s no reason to put yourself more in debt,” Christina said. “I think that marriage is a great thing, though,” Matt said. “I should know because I have a great wife and a great friend.”