ISU grad wins highest honor in Greenlee school

Ryan Brown

An investigative reporter for the Wall Street Journal will receive the highest honor awarded by the Greenlee School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Christopher Adams, 1988 ISU graduate, was selected for the James W. Schwartz Award for Distinguished Service to Journalism. “[Adams] is one of the most accomplished young journalists in the country,” said Giles Fowler, head of the awards committee. “I’d love to say I taught the kid everything he knew, but no one can say that.” Fowler, associate professor of journalism and mass communication, said Adams was one of three nominees for this year’s award. Adams was on a six-person team that won a Pulitzer Prize for a series of articles. Adams joins the list of three other Pulitzer Prize winners to be honored with the Schwartz Award. “He was an award winner from the very start, setting a record for the most Hearst Awards won by any [ISU] student,” said John Eighmey, professor and chairman of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Mass Communication. While a student at Iowa State, Adams served as editor for both the Iowa State Daily and Ethos magazine, Fowler said. Eighmey said James Schwartz, the award’s nameplate, will present the award to Adams at the Greenlee Post Game Alumni Reception in the Scheman Center immediately after the homecoming football game Oct. 21. Schwartz retired as a long-time chairman of the journalism department, Fowler said. The award was established in his honor in 1977 as a way to honor journalists who are distinguished in the profession or other fields in mass communications, he said. The majority of the winners have been in the field of broadcast journalism, although a few public relations and advertising professionals have won the award, he said. The Schwartz Award recipient is chosen by the faculty of the Greenlee School. Adams will speak to several journalism classes while he is in Ames for the award reception, Eighmey said.