Block and Bridle contest teaches children livestock judging

Wes Griffin

Youths will improve their ability to judge livestock at the 18th Annual Iowa State Block and Bridle Club’s Youth Judging Contest. Registration is now being accepted for the day-long event on Oct. 7 at the Farm Bureau Pavilion in Kildee Hall. Stephanie Danner, contest co-chair, said this year’s contest will be similar to last year’s with added workshops to help the youths enhance their skills. Danner said the contest is for students in kindergarten to 12th grade, mainly those involved in 4-H and FFA. “There are already 100 students projected,” said Danner, sophomore in agricultural education. “It is for them to get a better understanding of livestock and evaluating livestock. It is just a contest with workshops so they will get more out of the experience.” Tim Keegan, junior agriculture representative of the Block and Bridle Club, said the contest consists of different seminars, including the mechanics of judging and correct judging. “This is a great project for Block and Bridle,” said Keegan, junior in animal science pre-veterinary medicine. “Many of our members have participated in activities like this, and it helps the club recruit future members by getting our name out across the state.” The day will include workshops tailored to each age division and will be based on mechanics, performance records, reasons, criteria for judging different species and market evaluation. The ISU teaching farm will provide the animals for judging. “The contest is one of the great activities that Block and Bridle does and is a great experience for the students,” said Debra Dennison, member of Block and Bridle and a freshman in agricultural systems technology. Youths ages 5 to 18 can participate in the all-day contest. Awards are handed out at the end of the day.