Today’s Briefs

Various

Financial advice through YMCA program Students feeling financial strain will be able to get some advice from noon to 1 p.m. today in Room 236 of the Memorial Union. Staff from the ISU Financial Counseling Clinic will be guests at this week’s “Wednesdays at the Y” program. Mark Olsen, director of the clinic, will also be speaking on budgeting, financial resources and handling credit cards. Judy Dolphin, executive director of the YWCA of Ames-ISU, said everyone is welcome to attend. “You don’t have to be a college student to come. It’s good information,” she said. Dolphin said the session will focus on several different financial aspects of concern such as credit, credit cards and planning out budgets for the school year. Dolphin said students also will be able to find out more about student loans and other financial information from the clinic. “It’s more than just budgeting,” she said. “It’s more a way to manage your finances.” – Andrea Hauser Veishea applications available Veishea subcommittee applications are now available online or in the West Student Office Space, B6 of the Memorial Union. Applications are due at 5 p.m. on Sept. 29 in the Veishea office. Many positions are available including parade aides, Veishea aides, Stars Over Veishea and peer security. All applicants will be required to interview with the committee leaders and submit a proposal. For information on the proposal and committees, please visit the Veishea Web site. — Kati Jividen