Career Services

The purpose of a college degree is to have a professional career after graduation, and that’s what makes the closing of the Family and Consumer Sciences Career Services so upsetting. Due to the college’s $256,000 budget cuts last year, the Family and Consumer Sciences Career Services office was closed this summer. A person in each department of Family and Consumer Sciences is now assigned to help with job searches. Finding a job is hard work, and students will need some help along the way. Especially in a field that doesn’t have extremely high demand, assistance in employment is essential. Having an office to assist in finding a job is an invaluable resource for the job hunter. Fortunately, students still have one person in each department to assist them, but this is not enough. Having professors take on more responsibility only takes away from their primary duty – educating students. In addition to the effect on students, the loss of the Family and Consumer Sciences Career Services is only going to hurt the college. Students are going to transfer to other colleges that may offer them more assistance. Undergraduate students are the foundation of a university. To offer them fewer services every year while raising tuition at the same time will only dissuade them from coming to Iowa State. Since money for the office is no longer available from the state, Iowa State needs to find another source to provide this office for students. Millions of dollars have been raised for buildings and fellowships; if a few thousand can be raised, perhaps the Family and Consumer Sciences Career Services can be revived. After all, if students can’t find a job after four years of college, what’s the point? Editorial Board: Carrie Tett, Greg Jerrett, Katie Goldsmith, Amie Van Overmeer and Andrea Hauser