ClubFest offers opportunity, variety

Valerie Dennis

Students interested in becoming more involved in extracurricular activities at Iowa State can check out their options at ClubFest. Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the Memorial Union, said over 160 clubs participate in ClubFest each year. “ClubFest is a way for organizations to recruit new members face-to-face,” she said. “Sending an e-mail containing information about a club is one thing, but talking to people is another. This is a great way for personal contact in an age of e-mail.” Vernon Wall, assistant dean of students, said ClubFest is a good opportunity for students to get a sense of what clubs are like at Iowa State. Bestler-Wilcox said a variety of clubs will be at ClubFest, from religious or cultural clubs to departmental organizations like the Government of the Student Body, the Student Union Board and Veishea. She said the 160 participating clubs are about one-third of Iowa State’s 550 registered clubs. “ISU has probably the largest number of student organizations across the country, especially throughout the Big 12,” Wall said. “We have a registration process here that is not prohibitive. Other campuses are more restricted in what clubs they allow.” Wall said students tend to do better in their academics when they balance an activity and classes. “It is important for students to find something that allows them to feel like this is home,” Wall said. “If they feel comfortable, they will perform better. The key is to find a balance between school and clubs.” Wall said while the vast number of ISU clubs allow students to choose a specific club to fit their needs and interests, it can also deter students from becoming involved. “Students feel overwhelmed because they see so many opportunities,” Wall said. “Students should first think about what they want from a club and find an organization that connects with their personal goals.” Wall said he recommends students look to friends, club members and club leaders to help decide if a group is right for them. “Iowa State has so many opportunities for students to be involved,” he said. “It’s easy to find something for everyone.” Student organization Web site