Ag study abroad participation ranks second in nation

Wes Griffin

The study abroad program in the College of Agriculture is increasing at a rapid rate, ranking second in the nation behind Michigan State’s College of Agriculture. Shelley Taylor, director of agriculture study abroad, said the main goal for the College of Agriculture is to have 40 percent of the class of 2005 graduate with international experience. The program also aims to become the No. 1 College of Agriculture in the nation for students involved in international work and study. “Anyone can participate in the study abroad program even though it is designed specifically to agriculture students,” she said. “Any major in the College of Agriculture may participate since there’s not really an emphasis on any particular major.” David Acker, director of international agriculture programs, said the program has increased 500 percent since 1996 when only 42 students participated in six programs. Last year, 220 students were involved in 18 programs, Taylor said. This year there are 30 programs in 19 countries. “The main reason to start the program was because companies in and around Iowa were asking Iowa State to prepare students to work in the global economy,” Acker said. Kelli Cameron, junior in agricultural education and agricultural extension, chose to go to Costa Rica last spring. She said she visited three dairy, pineapple, coffee and banana farms. “I chose to go to Costa Rica because I had some Spanish background, and it would not take time from my school work during spring break,” she said. “I chose the program because I had traveled before, and the cost was not too high.” Cameron said there are several differences between agriculture in the United States and Costa Rica. “The smaller dairy farms still milked by hand, and they take more advantages of the land by planting crops on hills because their land is so valuable,” she said. “Here in the United States, what we take for granted is what we enjoy the most. I now have a greater appreciation for what they produce.” The study abroad programs cost between $1,000 and $5,000. Students can go overseas for a week up to a year, Taylor said. Rebecca Hamilton, senior in agricultural education, was stationed at the American Farm School in Greece when she studied abroad. “They use newer equipment in their production practices, though most of the gardens in Greece were organic” she said.