Student robbed outside Catt Hall

Kati Jividen

An ISU student was robbed by two men on campus this weekend as he walked from Friley Hall to Hawthorn Court, Department of Public Safety officials said. D’Artagnan O’Connor-De Los Rios, sophomore in agricultural business, was walking near Catt Hall about 11:30 p.m. Friday when he was approached by two men, said Loras Jaeger, director of the Department of Public Safety. “They hit him and knocked him to the ground and took his billfold and pocket watch,” Jaeger said. O’Connor-De Los Rios said his billfold contained his driver’s license, credit cards and debit card. The men also took his keys. “Unfortunately, I really doubt these guys, unless they caught them that night, will be caught. It’s hard to catch them,” O’Connor-De Los Rios said Sunday. “I just hope it doesn’t happen to anyone else. That’s why I contacted DPS.” Jaeger said this type of crime usually doesn’t occur on campus. This is the first time in a long time this has happened, he said. “I think this was an opportunity kind of robbery; he just happened to be there,” Jaeger said. “It doesn’t appear that there was a lot of planning. It was like they saw the person and saw the opportunity and took it.” Jaeger said he doesn’t believe students need to be afraid of these two men. “It sounded like by the description they were younger, maybe high-school age,” he said. “We haven’t had any other type of strong-armed robberies, and we certainly hope we can clear this one.” Jaeger said strong-armed robberies occur when a perpetrator overpowers someone and steals something. This is different from an armed robbery where a perpetrator uses a weapon. The men in this incident did not show a weapon, he said. Student officers patrol the campus at night, and the campus is well-lit, Jaeger said. But, he said, always be aware of your surroundings. “Particularly at night, always use precautions,” he said. “Walk in lighted areas, walk with another person and walk assertively.” O’Connor-De Los Rios agreed with Jaeger and stressed walking in pairs. “Don’t walk by yourself too late,” he said. “A pair of people are preying on people who are out walking.” Jaeger said a composite of the men may be out in the future if O’Connor-De Los Rios can provide a description. O’Connor-De Los Rios described the first suspect as a 5-foot 10-inch or 6-foot white male. He was wearing slacks and no shirt. The second suspect was a 5-foot 7-inch white male. He was wearing shorts, a white T-shirt and a dark vest. If anyone has any information on this case, contact DPS at 294-4428.