Task force promotes diversity

Ryan Brown

Multicultural Task Force members are looking for students interested in promoting diversity on campus. The task force is taking applications to fill two to four spots. The applications, which can be picked up in Room B2 of the Memorial Union, are due Friday. “Anyone can apply,” said Vernon Wall, adviser for the Multicultural Task Force. “People must have a keen commitment to multicultural issues and want to enhance multiculturalism on the [ISU] campus.” Wall said the task force, which was created in 1996, is looking for people who are not already involved in other clubs or activities on campus. Wall, assistant dean of students, said students and faculty sitting on the task force are in charge of looking over applications for activity funding and also acting as a liaison for each multicultural project. “It’s a good opportunity for me because I can work with a variety of student events that promote multiculturalism,” said Nathan Berry, task force member and senior in management. Jeremy Hayes, task force member and junior in management information systems, said the task force is looking at promoting its own multicultural activity as one of its goals this year. Wall said the task force funded the speaker for last spring’s annual ISU Conference on Race and Ethnicity. “We don’t want to replicate what’s on campus already,” he said. Wall said the task force has spent half the past year assessing and evaluating its activities and future plans, and about $12,000 was awarded last year to organizations. He said the money was awarded to organizations such as the Vietnamese Student Association for activities such as the Vietnamese New Year’s celebration. Wall said the task force awards funds for activities promoting multiculturalism as a collaborated effort among organizations and clubs on campus. “Collaboration between student organizations is a big part of the Multicultural Task Force,” Wall said. “As a result of Multicultural Task Force, other initiatives have happened on campus.”