Acacia returns to ISU

Lisa Kollasch

Keegan Kautzky considered several fraternities, but he was impressed immediately by the new fraternity Acacia. “I looked at six other fraternities and saw the greatest potential in Acacia,” said Kautzky, freshman in pre-business. “They focused on my main interests and were very serious about what they were doing. They have strong priorities, and I can tell that they are working hard to fulfill them.” After a 10-year absence from the ISU campus, Acacia fraternity, 138 Gray Ave., is making a return to the greek community. The ISU chapter of Acacia, a Greek word that stands for distinctiveness and leadership, left campus in 1990 for several reasons, including a lack of money to conduct and complete house renovations, said Acacia President Jeremy Davis. Upon closing, the revenue from the sale of the chapter house was invested by the Acacia corporate board, a group of Acacia alumni. The fraternity’s return to campus is marked with a strong start, said Davis, senior in agricultural education. “I strongly feel that we have an outstanding group of young men that will be leading this fraternity to high levels of success here at ISU,” he said. “Within the next year, we plan on reaching our house capacity of 34.” In order to return to Iowa State, the Acacia alumni board met with Brian Tenclinger, assistant dean of students for Greek Affairs, and the Acacia International Fraternity to prepare for recolonization. Acacia first had to form an on-campus interest group by filling out forms with the Interfraternity Council and Greek Affairs. After this was completed, the fraternity was given colony status, a title which it must hold for one year. This time serves as a probationary period in which the fraternity must draft its own constitution, among other things. After colony status was granted in January, Dalen McVay and Chad Jackson, two students who graduated from the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Okla., came to campus to begin the recruitment process. McVay and Jackson held many Acacia positions as undergraduates and will now supervise the proceedings and development of the ISU chapter while completing graduate school at Iowa State. The two began publicizing Acacia’s return on campus and interviewing men for the nine available positions in the Acacia cabinet. Davis joined the eight other active members in February and began both formal and informal fall recruitment. They have accepted 11 pledges. Kautzky said he was drawn in by Acacia’s size. “Due to the smaller number of members and their constant campus involvement, it is easier to become good friends with all of the guys,” he said. During the colonization process, which will continue until Acacia is granted chapter status in May 2001, the fraternity will follow some rules and regulations different from those of the fraternities already established on campus. For example, Acacia will have a non-voting representative in the Interfraternity Council. In addition, Acacia, which already is an alcohol-free fraternity, is prohibited from participating in any social functions at which alcohol is present. Members said the fraternity plans to increase its visibility on campus and within the greek community. “Throughout the school year, we hope to become involved in as many campus events as possible, from Homecoming to intramural sports,” Davis said. Acacia has purchased its old house at 138 Gray Ave., which was formerly the Iowa House Bed and Breakfast. The house now serves as home to 18 Acacia members, as well as McVay and Jackson. McVay said he likes the cooperative atmosphere of the ISU greek community. “Coming from a campus where the greek system is more of a rivalry, I am impressed by how helpful everyone at ISU has been,” he said. “We have a lot of work ahead of us, but we are very pleased with where we’re at.”