CyRide to start shuttle from Ames to Des Moines

Ben Burke

CyRide may soon be extending its transportation services to commuters who travel between Ames and Des Moines, transportation officials said. Currently, CyRide travels to Des Moines from Ames 60 to 70 times a year. This occurs two days before and after holiday breaks, and when the ISU semester begins and ends. CyRide Director Bob Bourne said the city of Ames has been working on a master plan that will map out the next 20 years of the public transportation program in Ames. “We want to do what makes sense economically,” he said. “The program will require public funding. The question is from where will the funding come?” Bourne said a daily commuter shuttle from Ames to Des Moines would make several stops in both cities. In Des Moines, it would stop at 15th Street, the State Capitol and the Des Moines International Airport. “We would want to do what would be most cost-effective,” he said. Cost of fares is another important issue for commuters – both residents and students, Bourne said. “Currently, it costs $12 for a one-way fare to Des Moines and $10 for people who ride more than once,” Bourne said. Bourne said the possibility of reduced fares for students participating in the future program would be decided by the Government of the Student Body. Ann Campbell, Ames city council member, said a shuttle between Ames and Des Moines is an important issue. “This has been an issue for a long time. It is both a need and desire, but it requires a fair bit of subsidy,” Campbell said. Campbell said there is a lot of interest for the program from more than one area of the Ames community. “I believe there are around 3,000 people who commute between the two cities each day,” she said. She said the route could also help bring some tourism to Ames. “Besides that, I would think it is of great interest for the Chamber of Commerce and the Ames Convention Bureau as far as bringing in visitors,” Campbell said.