Dean MacKay moves on

Amy Pint

An ISU search committee is continuing their search for a new dean of students after former Dean Kathleen MacKay’s departure in late June. MacKay resigned from her position at the end of June, citing personal reasons for leaving Iowa State. Associate Dean of Students Pete Englin is serving as interim dean of students while the search continues for a permanent replacement. Vice President of Student Affairs Thomas Hill said the dean of students search committee will be looking for someone with a student affairs background and a record of successful administrative experience, preferably at an institution similar to Iowa State. Hill said the candidate would need “a commitment to the education, development and empowerment of all students and the ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.” The committee expects to choose a new dean during the spring semester. As the university searches for a new dean, Interim Dean Englin said his hope is to “continue to build on that legacy and that students, faculty and staff would readily acknowledge that we’re a valuable resource and service to all members of the ISU community.” Englin is not applying for the permanent position. While Englin said he is looking forward to the challenges of a new position, MacKay is looking back over her years as an integral part of the ISU community. “My years at Iowa State have been extremely rewarding and I will miss working with Iowa State students,” said MacKay, who became the dean of students in May 1995. Englin said he admired MacKay for her “unrelenting commitment to the success of students and her interest in meeting each and every student who crossed her path.” Hill said MacKay developed effective and productive relationships with students. “She sought and valued student input in the programs and overall operation of the Dean of Students Office,” he said. Contributing to her success as a dean was the obvious love she had for the work she did. “It was evident to all that she loved her wor,.” Englin said. He said MacKay wanted students to feel welcome in her office. “Kathy worked hard to bring visibility to the office so students clearly knew where they could go in times of need, celebration or just to hang out,” Englin said.