This is a call…to audition

Joel Federer

Here it is, your chance to shine. ISU Theatre is asking all Iowa State students to audition today and Tuesday for two upcoming plays – Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” and “I’ve Got Something to Say Too,” a collection of four student written plays. Jane Cox, interim director of ISU Theatre, said the level of experience of the individual doesn’t matter as much as the willingness to work hard and develop the skills of stage acting. Patrick Gouran, associate professor of theatre, added that they were looking for “talented young actors.” Each character audition is expected to take anywhere from three to five minutes. “Both of these particular auditions will consist of readings from the scripts,” Cox said. “The students who audition will be put with someone else and asked to read various scenes of various characters.” Though these auditions are only for students interested in acting, Cox said there are other opportunities to get involved. “We encourage anyone who’s interested in helping in any way [back stage] to stop down [at Fisher] and they’ll be put to work,” she said. Fisher Theater is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The play “I’ve Got Something to Say Too” is a follow-up of last year’s “I’ve Got Something to Say,” but is related only by name. This year there is a completely new set of playwrights and scripts. “I think a lot of people who saw [last year’s `I’ve Got Something to Say’] really liked it,” Cox said. “It gave students a great chance to do play writing.” “Those students [who are] cast in `I’ve Got Something to Say Too’ will have the experience of working on an original script,” which will be challenging, added Gouran. Among the four scripts included in “I’ve Got Something to Say Too” is one titled `Mental Anchovies,’ which takes place in a college student’s dorm room. All sorts of unusual meetings take place with people such as a professor and a pizza deliverer. Through each of these encounters, the student has a series of revelations. Another of the scripts is an exploration of emotion through poetry and dance. Performances for `I’ve Got Something to Say Too’ will be October 12, 13, 14, and 15. `Twelfth Night’ is one of Shakespeare’s most popular romantic comedies, according to Gouran, and will be performed November 10, 11, and 12, as well as December 1, 2, and 3. Auditions will be held at Fisher Theater beginning at 7 p.m. both nights. Students interested in auditioning are asked to meet in Fisher’s lobby. They are also asked to pick up scripts at 210 Pearson Hall and are required to leave either their ISU Card or a $5 deposit. “We try to provide the opportunity for audiences to see that Shakespeare is not some museum piece,” Gouran said. “`Twelfth Night’ is as current as [the year] 2000.” The play will be performed in modern American English. For more information on ISU Theater, call 294-2624. The Ames Community Theater (ACTORS), in cooperation with Ames Choral Society, is holding auditions for Gilbert and Sullivan’s operetta, “The Pirates of Penzance.” Auditions will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the ACTORS Studio, 120 Abraham Drive. A cast of 40, ages 16 and over, is needed for the production. Those interested in auditioning are asked to bring a prepared musical piece. Recommendations are an art song or something from Gilbert and Sullivan. The operetta is scheduled to be performed October 27, 28, and 29 in the Ames City Auditorium.