110 incoming freshmen victim to roommate mix-up

Heidi Jolivette

More than 100 incoming ISU freshmen have been surprised over the past few weeks as they’ve received their housing confirmation forms — they’ve gotten a different roommate than the person they requested.

Roommate assignments for 110 incoming ISU freshman were mixed up because of an error made by Department of Residence staff members.

“It’s not a computer-system error; it’s not a student error; it was an error made by my staff,” said Greg Lee, assistant director of residence.

Certain codes on the housing contracts for incoming freshmen were overlooked, and they were assigned a different roommate than the ones they had requested, Lee said.

Lee said he became aware of the problem after receiving phone calls from concerned students. He said he’s sending a letter to all of the individuals involved in the mix-up.

Roommate corrections are currently being made, and the original roommate requests have been granted for all but 10 students, he said.

With the exception of several cases that officials are still working on, department staff was able to place the students in the same house or floor, Lee said.

“We’re working hard to correct the problem,” he said. “It looks like we’re going to be able to satisfy this problem to everybody’s satisfaction.”

Anthony Bateza, summer resident assistant in Friley Hall, said a switch in housing assignments could have meant a bad start for those incoming freshmen.

“It’s kind of a bad first impression,” said Bateza, senior in zoology. “Hopefully, it’s all fixed up by fall.”

Josh Kruse, incoming freshman from Rock Rapids, said he sent his housing form in about a month ago with his friend, Nick Van Berkum, also from Rock Rapids, as his requested roommate. He hasn’t received any information back yet.

Kruse said he would be slightly upset if department officials made an error on his request, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

“I would think a little less of them [the Department of Residence] if they can’t get that right,” Kruse said, adding that he requested someone he already knew to be his roommate to avoid any hassles that might have come with a stranger.