4-H members to have ‘Time to Shine’ at ISU

Connie Pettinger

About 950 Iowa teen-agers will take part in “A Time to Shine,” this year’s 4-H leadership conference, which kicks off today on the ISU campus.

First lady Christie Vilsack will open the conference with a welcome from the Governor’s Office.

Other featured 4-H speakers include Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Patty Judge and ISU Extension Vice Provost Stanley R. Johnson.

Brenda Allen, co-coordinator of the conference, said the 45-member state 4-H council plans the three-day event.

“They give the thumbs-up or thumbs-down on the workshops that we present,” Allen said. Council members also select speakers and entertainment.

This leadership conference is open to all Iowa high school students.

“They will be primarily 4-Hers,” Allen said, “but we market to all teens, because the things we’re doing are for everyone.”

A variety of educational workshops will offer the delegates a selection of topics to explore.

ISU professors will be presenting many of the workshops at campus buildings, including Stephens Auditorium and Hilton Coliseum.

A favorite among 4-H and FFA members is the Animal Science Roundup, Allen said.

“Students attending this workshop choose a specific species of animal to learn more about care, breeding and marketing of this species,” she said.

A highlight for delegates to the roundup is the International Agriculture Lunch held at noon on Thursday.

“We’re excited about an environmental workshop called ‘Touch the Land’ that’s new this year,” said Wendy Brock, 4-H youth development specialist.

In “Touch the Land,” 66 delegates will learn about such issues as landscaping with trees and ways to support wildlife in urban and small-town landscaping.

“This is too important an issue not to bring it to young people,” Brock said.

Lt. Gov. Sally Pederson will join the delegates Wednesday afternoon to participate in community-service work in the Ames and Story County area.

Allen said delegates have the opportunity to choose service projects they’re interested in.

“Some will be doing painting, yard work and landscaping projects,” she said.

“Others will be playing with children at childcare facilities, visiting with residents at senior centers or working at the clothing pantry.”

In addition to educational workshops and community service, delegates have time for fun events such as scavenger hunts and casino nights.

All participants of the conference stay in ISU residence halls.