Cyclone gymnasts finish season in style

Josh Flickinger

In their first-ever appearance at the NCAA National Championships, the ISU gymnasts had a strong showing on both the team and individual levels.

The Cyclones received a 195.325 overall mark to place fifth in their session Thursday night in Boise, Idaho.

Their score was also good enough for an eighth place overall finish at the event.

UCLA took the overall team title with a total of 197.250.

Besides the appearance in the tournament, the Cyclones made history in other ways.

Two ISU gymnasts were named All-Americans, becoming the first Cyclone gymnasts in history to hold that title.

Junior Betsy Hamm garnered first team All-America honors on the balance beam.

In addition, she received second team honors both on the uneven bars and in the all-around competition.

She earned a 9.875 in Thursday night’s preliminary team competition to earn first-team All-America honors.

The junior transfer, who won the NCAA beam title as a freshman at Florida, was the first competitor on the beam in the finals.

She just missed on a full twisting layout stepout she inserted into her routine and fell off the beam.

Because of that setback, she earned a score of 9.2875, which placed her in eighth place.

“Betsy was going for broke on her routine,” ISU head coach Amy Pyle said. “She knew she needed to go for broke to win. She didn’t miss in the warm-up and she just missed it in her routine.”

Senior Kelli More was also named a first team All-American on the balance beam.

After qualifying with a score of 9.90 Thursday night, she led off the second round of competitors on the balance beam.

Like Hamm, More also fell in her routine on the beam, posting a 9.15 to place 10th in the event.

The senior finished her Cyclone career as the school record holder on the beam, posting a 9.950 twice.

“Kelli has been a rock for this program,” Pyle said. “She made an impact when she walked in the door. She worked as hard, if not harder, than anyone out there tonight. Nothing would have made me happier than to see her up on that stand.”

In the preliminary competition, the Cyclones started on the uneven bars, receiving a team score of 48.700.

It was Hamm who received the top Cyclone score (9.800), which tied her for eighth place on that event and earned her second team All-America honors.

More followed with a 9.750, while senior Sarah Sanderson and junior Jessy Smith both received scores of 9.725.

Sophomore Stephanie Sweitzer earned the third-highest Cyclone score (9.725).

Iowa State received a bye before competing on the floor exercise and vault.

On the floor, Hamm and sophomore Shelly Kringen tied for the top Cyclone score (9.850), while juniors Lauren Goldberg and Jessy Smith both received a 9.800.

On the vault, Hamm, Sanderson and freshman Karen Kuplicki received scores of 9.8, while Kringen, regional vault champion, earned a 9.750.

Hamm placed sixth in the all-around with a 39.325, which earned her second team All-America honors.

The gymnasts weren’t the only Cyclones to garner honors over the weekend. Coach Amy Pyle was named national co-head coach of the year with UCLA’s Valerie Kondos.

Pyle led the Cyclones to their first-ever NCAA Championship team appearance and the school’s first Big 12 Conference championship.

“It was a big surprise and a great honor to receive the award,” Pyle said. “I accept the award on behalf of the entire coaching staff and the team. It was everyone’s award.”