Senator-elect quits GSB amid drive to oust him

Wendy Weiskircher

Friendship and politics clashed in a twist of irony, which began with an election and ended with a futile petition.

Brent Welder, freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication, was elected to a Richardson Court Association seat on the Government of the Student Body senate at the beginning of March. In opposition to his victory, a petition began circulating last week to stop Welder from being seated before the new senate term even began.

However, before the petition was officially filed with the 1999-2000 GSB senate, Welder submitted his resignation as senator on the basis that he is not planning to live in RCA next year.

Ryan Mau, a resident on Welder’s floor in Larch Hall, started the petition.

“There have been some issues that have caused him a lot of trouble on the floor,” said Mau, freshman in pre-business. “The motivation behind the petition is that some people from the floor have seen, in the last few weeks, he’s been disrespectful and disobedient to some of the [resident assistants] within Larch.”

The petition, which Mau said bears the signatures of at least 350 concerned RCA students, was presented at house meetings and dining center lines to inform students of the situation.

Mau said the initiators of the petition were concerned the residents of RCA would be misrepresented with Welder on the senate.

“We feel that [Welder] is actually unfit to be seated as the RCA senator,” Mau said. “[The petition] is the only way we can get our point across.”

Welder said he was surprised when he heard about the petition via the grapevine.

“It’s ironic, really,” he said. “I used to consider him one of my best friends on the floor.”

Welder said after he heard about the petition, he confronted Mau. Mau said the story Welder heard had been distorted, and the petition did not spring from a personal conflict.

“This is not a personal vendetta,” Mau said. “We’re doing it because we want someone who will represent us correctly.”

Neither the Larch Hall director nor the Kehlenbeck House RA would comment on the situation.

Since Welder no longer will be representing RCA on the GSB senate, the seat will defer to the candidate who received the next-highest number of votes in the election. William Tinder, freshman in computer engineering, will be the new senator from RCA.

“It’s really sad that people have to act this way,” Welder said. “When it comes down to it, GSB should try to work together instead of against each other. That’s the only way they can get things done.”