Students aim to expand kids’ minds by sharing international stories

Bridget Bailey

In an effort to expose youth to diversity, ISU students will be reading international tales to children at the Children’s Museum Saturday.

Melinda Luzbetak, member of the museum’s Board of Directors, said three ISU students from the International Storytelling Class, which is taught by ISU assistant professor Shirley Dunlap, will be having a story session from noon until 1:20 p.m. at the Children’s Museum in North Grand Mall, 2801 Grand Ave.

Deb O’Brien, co-director of the museum, said a top priority for the museum is to incorporate diversity into its programs.

“It is a really great opportunity for the children to learn about different countries. It’s a real theatrical involvement,” she said.

David Adams, senior in liberal studies, will be a participant in Saturday’s storytelling event.

“We will be mainly telling stories from the African cultures. I will be telling ones from the West African cultures,” he said.

Adams said he decided to participate in the storytelling class because he loves having an audience and thinks it is a good opportunity for children to hear stories other than Grimm’s fairy tales.

“It is really cool to see the kids’ faces when they’re locked into the story,” he said.

Luzbetak said storytelling is just one way in which museum officials strives to give children a broader perspective of the world.

“We have international dress up areas — we try to focus on different cultures and try to promote as many different cultures as possible. Our volunteer board is a very diverse group of people,” she said.

Christine Akins, co-director of the Children’s Museum, said she is hoping a large number of children attend the event with their parents. Akins said the goal of the program is to expand children’s world view.

“It will really help form character and develop a child’s knowledge of the world. We also hope to get kids to explore and learn about the museum,” she said.

Luzbetak said the Children’s Museum is primarily a volunteer-run organization, with three paid employees who run the museum on a daily basis. She said ISU students who volunteer are a wonderful addition to the museum.

“We are always looking for new volunteers. The Iowa State psychology and design departments have been sending kids over to help with the children and setting up programs,” she said.

Admission to the storytelling sessions at the museum is $2 for adults and children. Children under 2 are admitted free of charge.