Iowa City saw influx of Cyclones for Veishea

Heidi Jolivette

Last weekend’s Veishea celebration was the driest in years in terms of arrests, which may have been caused in part by many ISU students heading east.

Iowa City bar owners said the number of ISU students drinking in their bars rose dramatically.

“We had a lot of people from Ames,” said Dave Moore, co-owner of the Fieldhouse Restaurant and Night Club.

The Fieldhouse allowed people 18 years or older admission Saturday night and also had a college identification special, so quite a few ISUCards were seen, Moore said.

He said many students told him they left Ames because there was no drinking on campus during Veishea.

Moore said he estimated about 60 students from Iowa State passed through his doors last weekend. He said he normally sees 10 to 20 ISU students on a non-Veishea weekend.

Jesica Baker, sophomore in early childhood education, said she and some friends went to Iowa City Saturday to get out of town.

“There was a lot of people from Iowa State there,” Baker said.

Brian Slynn, manager of the Sports Column, said he also noticed an increase in customers visiting Iowa City from Ames.

“There were more groups of [ISU] students than normal,” Slynn said.

On any given weekend night, Slynn said the Sports Column has about four to five groups of ISU students come, but Saturday night, he said he noticed about 12 groups of ISU students in his sports-themed bar.

Despite the increase of Cyclones in Iowa City, Moore said everyone was very well-behaved and there were no problems with underage students from Iowa State trying to purchase alcohol at the Fieldhouse.

“It was one of the smoothest Saturday nights, considering the crowd size,” he said.

Moore compared the increase of ISU students in Iowa City to when the Cyclones play the Hawkeyes, and he said they never have problems then, either.

“[ISU students] seem to like it here,” he said. “Most bring designated drivers so they drink responsibly and get home safe.”