Prof draws attention with forgiveness book

Erin Holtman

An ISU professor is writing a book about a sensitive topic most people deal with every day.

Margaret Holmgren, associate professor of philosophy and religious studies, has been working on a book about forgiveness for a couple semesters. Holmgren said the book covers many issues surrounding this topic.

“The book starts with an analysis of forgiveness and self-forgiveness. I argue that both aspects are necessary and morally appropriate, if you’ve done preparation,” she said. “I also deal with criminal law and the justice system and how they forgive people.”

Holmgren said she had a personal interest in writing about this topic. “I was inspired to write this book by working with issues of wrongdoing in my own life,” she said.

She also said she thinks forgiveness is a crucial part of most people’s lives.

“It’s something we all deal with in our everyday lives, and it’s important to understand,” she said.

Michael Bishop, associate professor and chairman of philosophy and religious studies, said he also thinks forgiveness is a relevant topic.

“I think it’s a very important topic in many people’s lives and in philosophy,” he said. “A lot of people think philosophy is completely unconnected from everyday life, but we deal with topics like this that are actually very intertwined with everyday life.”

Many people have shared personal stories of forgiveness with Holmgren to help with her book, she said.

“I’ve heard a number of personal stories and been to conventions that brought together a lot of people on this topic,” she said.

Holmgren said she has been working with the topic of forgiveness for quite a while.

“[The book] has kind of evolved. It started with an article in 1993 that I did on the subject and kind of progressed from there,” she said. “I did have a one-semester faculty leave awhile ago that really got it started.”

Hopefully, a large portion of the book will be finished this summer, Holmgren said.

Bishop said publication of Holmgren’s book will likely bring recognition to Iowa State and the philosophy department.

“I think it will bring attention. Actually, it already has,” he said. “Margaret wrote a story about Bill Clinton when he was on trial for lying to the American people in his testimony. Her story focused on whether the public should forgive him, and she received some positive attention for it.”

Holmgren said her book is currently untitled, but she is unconcerned about that. “The title will probably come last. I just want to get the book finished first,” she joked.