T-shirts to commemorate sexual assault survivors at ISU, across country

Valerie Dennis

Representing survivors of violence, colorful T-shirts strung on a clothesline will be displayed on campus today to promote awareness of sexual assault.

As part of sexual assault awareness month, the display, part of the nationwide Clothesline Project, will be hanging from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on central campus east of the Campanile.

The different colored T-shirts represent the actions women have suffered, said Laura Armstrong, sexual assault awareness coordinator at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center.

Armstrong, graduate student in English, said this tactic is a very effective way to get people talking about sexual assault.

“The T-shirts put a name and face with the statistics,” she said. “It makes a difference when there is a name and information instead of just statistics. It makes the women seem more real and alive.”

She said a room will be available at the Sloss House for people to design their own T-shirts to add to the collection. Information on sexual assault and dating violence will also be provided.

The Clothesline Project started in Massachusetts in spring 1990, and it came to Ames in 1998. This is a national project that Armstrong said has had lasting effects.

“We tend to get a good response from people. They aren’t sure what is going on so they stop by and see. The information sticks with them and sinks in a different kind of way,” she said.

Robert Wiese, adviser for Voices Against Violence, a campus group co-sponsoring the event, said visual displays such as this help make people recognize this serious problem.

“The issue of domestic violence and sexual assault is a very important issue,” Wiese said. “It’s not a women’s problem — the man needs to take responsibility for his actions.”

Michelle Zinke, rural outreach director for Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support (ACCESS), said it is important for people to be aware of sexual assault and understand that it is a crime.

“Most people are not aware how prevalent sexual assault is in Iowa communities or have a stereotypical image that it is the victim’s fault,” Zinke said. “We want victims to know they are not accountable for the crime.”

Armstrong said this is an important event for everyone because sexual assault touches everyone’s life at some point.

“Sexual assault will affect you or your mom, sister or daughter,” Armstrong said. “It doesn’t just affect women.”