Students find support for budget concerns

Wendy Weiskircher

DES MOINES — Five Government of the Student Body senators made their second trip to Des Moines Wednesday to protest the educational budget cuts pending in the state Legislature.

After their request for a open caucus with the Republican members of the state Senate, the five students and a handful of University of Iowa student leaders met with the chairwoman of the education committee, who sent them a promising message.

“We have received the House budget, and we will not accept it in this form,” said Sen. Kitty Rehberg, D-Buchanan County. “We are going to submit our own budget.”

Rehberg told the students that the Senate recommendation for spending on the regent universities will be substantially higher than the budget passed to them by the House of Representatives.

“We are living up to our obligation,” she said, pinning a “Keep Higher Education Alive” button on her shirt. “We want you kids to stay in Iowa after we give you the education and tools you need.”

The GSB members met with the Democrat members of the state Senate in an open caucus and left with the standing ovation ringing in their ears.

“We want to put a face on these cuts and tell you exactly how they are going to affect us, the students,” GSB President-elect Ben Golding told the senators.

Katie Greiman, disabilities senator, addressed the issue of how the budget cuts would affect students with disabilities.

“My concern about accessibility is the larger class sizes,” said Greiman, who is 80 percent deaf and uses hearing aids. “The larger the class size, the more difficult it is for me and others with a hearing disability to interpret what the professor is saying.”

Melissa Brunia, Buchanan senator, shared her story of how she is paying for her own college education.

“My parents can only give us limited support,” said Brunia, who has two siblings in college and another who will starting in the fall. “Most of the financial burden falls on me.”

The Democrats, who are outnumbered in the Senate, 30-20, said they support the students’ cause.

“Right here, you are preaching to the choir,” said Sen. William Fink, D-Warren County. “We’re here supporting you.”

The budget is expected to be discussed on the Senate floor next week.