Students unsure on Jischke’s membership

Julie Rule

Although some activists are calling for ISU President Martin Jischke to step down from his post on the board of directors for Banker’s Trust, other students disagree on whether the membership is ethical.

In 1997, four years after Jischke became a member of the bank’s board, Iowa State’s general account was consolidated from five separate accounts at different banks into one at Banker’s Trust.

“It seems to be a conflict of interest,” said Leah Griffin, freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication.

Griffin said she thought some of the money in the bank should be put elsewhere, although she didn’t know what Jischke himself should do.

Jischke has maintained that his membership isn’t a conflict of interest because he has been open about it and he doesn’t let himself get involved with Banker’s Trust decisions that concern Iowa State.

Griffin said she will be interested to see how the call.to/jischke campaigners do during Veishea. The group has posted a Web site lambasting Jischke’s participation in Banker’s Trust and has announced plans to protest at the student-run celebration.

“I think it’s a really bold move, but I don’t know what kind of response they’re going to get,” she said.

Clarissa Hoff, freshman in animal ecology, said she believes Jischke’s position is a conflict of interest.

“If he ends up making a decision that’s bad for the bank and good for the school, what’s he going to do?” she asked.

Adrian Hill, senior in computer engineering, said he was unsure about the situation.

“I don’t particularly like it, but I don’t think there’s anything students can do about it,” he said.

However, other students believe Jischke’s involvement with Banker’s Trust isn’t a conflict.

“I don’t really think it matters that much,” said Brad Roath, junior in civil engineering. “It’s kind of his own personal business.”

Kyle Boyer, freshman in chemical engineering, said even if there is a conflict of interest, Jischke is still thinking in the best interests of the university.

“Even though some of his views aren’t in the best interest of the students, they are still in the best in of the college,” Boyer said.