GSB resolution urges universities to fight racial intolerance

Wendy Weiskircher

The Government of the Student Body will discuss a resolution at its senate meeting tonight to discourage racial intolerance at universities.

The resolution was introduced in response to a recent rash of anti-minority e-mail sent to faculty members and students at the University of Iowa from a group known as Minorityrid.

The anonymous e-mail from the address [email protected] demanded exile from the university for all minority students and included threats of violence to minority students. About 1,000 U of I students, faculty members and others countered the hate mail, rallying in support of their fellow students.

“There are two purposes to this resolution,” said William Tinder, author of the resolution. “One is to send the students of University of Iowa that are standing up to this group a message that we are behind them. We also want to send a message to the [anti-minority] group that we don’t want them on our campus.”

Although the recent burst of racism was concentrated in Iowa City, Tinder said prejudice against minorities is a universal problem.

“I think something like that can happen on any campus anywhere,” he said. “I think it is a problem, even though we don’t see as it as often as we used to.”

Tinder said he does not know if minorities on the ISU campus fear for their safety, but he never has felt threatened.

“As a minority myself, I can say that I don’t feel uncomfortable, but everyone comes from a different background, and I can’t speak for everyone,” he said.

Charlie Johnson, UDA, said it is important for GSB to take action in opposition of the intolerance.

“I think that the type of activities that happened at Iowa is flagrantly wrong,” he said. “A group like that could very easily turn up at Iowa State. I think that’s why this is a good resolution — to show that we’re against that kind of behavior.”

If the resolution is passed, a copy will be sent to the U of I Student Government.

“My hope is that this will encourage those at the University of Iowa to keep on fighting,” Tinder said. “If we can dissuade even one group like this from coming to our campus, we’ve won a victory.”

While the resolution is in direct response to the U of I hate e-mail, Tinder said he hopes ISU students hear the message, too.

“GSB won’t stand for bigotry and racism,” he said. “We stand for tolerance of all.”

The Government of the Student Body will meet tonight at 7 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

Old business

* A funding bill to allocate $1,197 from the Senate Discretionary Fund to help send two ISU student presenters to the Annual Conference on Shock. By Johnson.

* A resolution to declare GSB support of U of I protesters against intolerance. By Tinder, Wisher and others.